Cathedrals Working Group
The Archbishops of Canterbury and York have set up a Cathedrals Working Group, CWG, in response to a request made by the Bishop of Peterborough in his January 2017 Visitation Charge on Peterborough Cathedral for a revision to be carried out of the adequacy of the current Cathedrals Measure.
The CWG will review aspects of cathedral management and governance and produce recommendations for the Archbishops on the implications of these responsibilities with regards to the current Cathedrals Measure. It will be chaired by the Bishop of Stepney, Adrian Newman, the former Dean of Rochester Cathedral, and the Dean of York, Vivienne Faull, will be the vice chair.
The Working Group will look at a number of different areas of Cathedral governance, including training and development for cathedral deans and chapters, financial management issues, the procedure for Visitations, safeguarding matters, buildings and heritage and the role of Cathedrals in contributing to evangelism within their dioceses.
The Bishop of Stepney and the Dean of York said:
"Cathedrals contribute uniquely to the ecology of the Church of England, and we are a healthier, stronger church when they flourish. We are pleased to have this opportunity to review the structures that support their ministry, in order to enhance their role in church and society Cathedrals are one of the success stories of the Church of England, with rising numbers of worshippers. They are a vital part of our heritage and make an incalculable contribution to the life of the communities that they serve. This is an exciting opportunity for the Working Group to look at the different aspects of how Cathedrals work, and to ensure that the legislation and procedures they use are fit for purpose for their mission in the 21st century."
The Group will report back initially to the Archbishops' Council, Church Commissioners and House of Bishops in December 2017. Full membership and terms of reference for the Working Group may be found below.
Notes to Editors
For interviews with The Dean of York, please contact Sharon Atkinson t: 01904 557248 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about the current Cathedrals Measure, passed in 1999 and specifying how Cathedrals are governed, can be found here: http://www.englishcathedrals.co.uk/cathedrals/about-cathedrals/how-is-it-administered/
Terms of Reference
The Cathedrals Working Group has been established by the Archbishops in response to the request from the Bishop of Peterborough in his Visitation Charge "to look at whether the current Cathedrals Measure is adequate, and to consider revising it".
The Working Group will therefore review the sufficiency of the Cathedrals Measure in relation to governance structures in cathedrals, with particular reference to:
- Financial management
- Major buildings projects
- Accountability, oversight and scrutiny
The Working Group will also review:
- Leadership capacity, including training and development needs for Deans and Chapters
- The relationship of cathedral governance structures to other key partners, especially the Diocesan Bishop, Diocese and Church Commissioners
- The planning, execution, communication and implementation of Cathedral Visitations
The Working Group will report back initially to the Archbishops' Council, Church Commissioners and House of Bishops in December 2017, with any recommendations for the revision of the Cathedrals Measure and any other relevant findings.
Chair: Rt Revd Adrian Newman, Bishop of Stepney
Vice-Chair: Very Revd Vivienne Faull, Dean of York
- Mrs Julie Dziegel, member of General Synod (Oxford) and of the Archbishops' Council Finance Committee
- Andrew Holroyd OBE, Executive Chairman, Jackson Canter Solicitors, Lay Canon of Liverpool Cathedral
- Carl Hughes, Member of the General Synod and the Archbishops' Council Finance Committee; led the Visitation of Peterborough Cathedral on behalf of the Bishop of Peterborough; vice chairman of the Southwark Diocesan Board of Finance
- Richard Oldfield, Chairman, Oldfield Partners
- Baroness Maeve Sherlock OBE
- Jennie Page CBE, Former Vice Chair of the Cathedral Fabrics Commission for England, Vice Chair, Church Buildings Council
- Dr Fiona Spiers, former Regional Director for Yorkshire and Humber, Heritage Lottery Fund
- Rt Hon Jack Straw MP
- Rt Revd Tim Stevens, former Bishop of Leicester